* Pneumonia and diarrheal diseases are two of the leading causes of death among children under 5 years old.
* According to the World Health Organization, millions of young lives could be saved with access to bar soap and hygiene education.
* More than 2 million bars of partially used hotel soap are thrown away every day in the United States.
* By recycling soap and other discarded hygiene products, Clean the World saves lives with items that traditionally end up in landfills.
Clean the World: Clean the World was founded in 2009 by Shawn Seipler. As the Vice President of Sales and Marketing for an e-commerce technology company, Shawn traveled several days a week. The idea for soap recycling came about after Shawn learned the barely used bars of hotel soap he left behind each morning ended up in a landfill. That led to Clean the World, a Florida not-for-profit corporation under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
* Collect and recycle soap and hygiene products discarded every day by the hospitality industry and other sectors that generate environmental waste.
* Through the distribution of these and other donated products to impoverished people, prevent millions of hygiene-related deaths each year, reduce the morbidity rate for hygiene-related illnesses, and encourage vigorous childhood development.
They do this by…:
* Collecting, sorting and processing discarded soap, shampoo conditioner and lotion product donations from participating hospitality partners.
* Collection of donated hygiene products from manufacturers.
* Recycling these product donations at facilities in Orlando, Fla., Las Vegas, and Hong Kong.
* Delivering these recycled product donations to domestic homeless shelters and developing countries suffering from high death rates due to acute respiratory infection and diarrheal disease.
What you can do to help: When volunteering, you serve an essential role in Clean the World’s mission by pre-sorting hygiene products for recycling or packing them for distribution. Individuals, corporate groups, and schools serve in dynamic teams at social responsibility events to address urgent hygiene needs.
Clean the World welcomes individual volunteers, corporate groups, churches, families, and clubs. Volunteering at Clean the World is appropriate for kids as well as adults. Volunteers must beat least 8 years old. Children ages 8 through 15 require supervision by a parent or guardian.
Volunteering is by appointment only. To volunteer, please complete the volunteer form by following this link.